Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mother's bathroom--a communal gathering place?

Hi Ladies,

I've been struck again at how often the bathroom becomes a communal gathering place for my children; as in, only my bathroom. I know this can be a somewhat delicate subject, but the fact of the annoying matter is that my children can be playing happily for AN HOUR with nary a hiccup, and then as soon as I head for le toilet, it's re-enacting the running of the bulls at Pamplona.

My suggestion for you--if this is a problem in your life--is to simply say, "This is mother's domain. OUT!" or something just as pointed but lovely. Too often I realize that I'm content to continue their conversations in and out of the restroom, which only adds to the belief that they are allowed to continue such conversations.

Feel free to draw a clear line in the sand, or the tile: when mother rushes into the bathroom, DO NOT FOLLOW, DO NOT CONTINUE TO SPEAK, DO NOT MAKE REQUESTS OR DETAIL EPISODES OF STAR WARS WHILE SHE TRIES TO HAVE ALONE TIME. The solution for them? Simply wait. I invite you to try this remarkably simple yet overlooked action today.

All my best,
Connie
Executive LIFECoach
President, LIFEChange
Thriving mother of six
www.lifechangeprogram.com
801.787.4910

No comments: